Friday, November 19, 2010

Module 5

I have had a precepting student with me at work for the past month or so.  In teaching her, she has asked what she should do, or what I do in specific situations; charting is one example that comes to mind.  When I had to explain to her what I usually do, sometimes I gave her two ways that I have charted the same thing.  She asked what influenced me to decide one way or the other.  I honestly answered her by saying that it depended on my mood that day.  My mood is not a consistent or credible decision support system.  The reading this week helped me to realize that we make many decisions based on how we feel about a current situation.  One of the readings even suggested that if we are presented with the same information twice, it is not a guarentee that we will make the same decision.  Based on my improved understanding of what influences our decision making, I am a supporter of decision making guidelines and standard practices.  There will always be room to modify them as we need to based on circumstances, but hopefully mood is not an influencing factor. 

1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail on the head Brian, what you mentioned (mood) is just one of the factors that can contribute to human error, and as humans we are prone to error. That is why CDS systems may be critical in facilitating the decision making process especially when it comes to EBP.

    ReplyDelete